UK (United Kingdom)
In an increasingly globalize world economy, people need special skills and qualities to succeed. Employers want employees who can think effectively, creatively and independently. This is an essential part of the UK learning experience. Institutions use a variety of teaching and assessment methods to encourage independence, as well as mastery of the subject. UK scientists and institutions have won almost 100 Nobel Prizes for their scientific achievements. The UK's creative brains 'artists, fashion designers, film and T.V stars, and leisure software designers' are regarded as among the best in the world. At degree and postgraduate level in particular, students are encouraged to read widely, to question and analyze what they have read, and to discuss openly their own ideas in seminars and tutorials. Career-based courses are designed to equip you for specific roles in the modern world of work. English language skills will be important for your future career prospects. English is acknowledged as the language of business, science, IT and the internet around the world. Learning English in the UK allows you to immerse yourself in the language, to live and think in English.
Modern Learning Environment
- Employers want employees who can think effectively, creatively and independently.
- UK institutions use a variety of teaching and assessment methods to encourage independence, as well as mastery of the subject.
- Students are expected to use the information they are given to stimulate their original thinking.
Quality of Education
- The education system provides facilities such as international students societies, planned social activities, academic support, and academic counselors. UK has one of the lowest 'drop out rates.
- Its quality is unrivalled throughout the world.
- Encourages relevant skills that are marketable and sought by today's top companies
- Realization of earning potentials sooner.
- Numerous scholarships and bursaries offered by UK institutions.
- Almost free health care by National Health Service.
- Student discount facilities provided free through National Union of Students membership for all students.
- Vast choice of institutions, academics and subjects.
- Flexible programs.
- Diverse, stable social environment
- Cosmopolitan place to live.
- Home to numerous ethnic groups and nationalities from around the world.
- Tolerant, stable society where students learn about diverse range of people.
- Compared to other educational destinations shorter duration programs
- Undergraduate - 3 years, Postgraduate - 1 year
Education Chart/ Information
In UK "O" level is equivalent to SSC, "A" levels (2 years) is equivalent to HSC, Bachelors is for 3 years, 4 Years are Sandwich program , masters for 1 year and PH. D for 3 years.
Types of Certification
- Open University
- College and Institution of Higher Education
- Open College
- College of Technology
- Teacher Training College
Usual Grading system in Secondary school
In UK Alphabetical system of grading is followed i.e. From A to E. A: excellent/outstanding; B: above average; C: average; In UK Alphabetical system of grading is followed i.e. From A to E. A: excellent/outstanding; B: above average; C: average; D: below average; E: failing.
- Highest on scale: A
- Pass/ fail level: C/D
- Lowest on scale: E
Main Grading system used by higher education institutions
In UK Alphabetical system of grading is followed i.e. From A to E.
- A: excellent/outstanding;
- B: above average;
- E: fail.
- Highest on scale: A
- Pass/fail level: D/E
- Lowest on scale: E
Other main grading systems
Apart from the alphabetical grading system, the Numerical system is also used in UK.
Types of degrees
Types of taught courses
- Postgraduate Certificates and Diplomas (PG Cert; PG Dip)
- Master (MA, MSc)
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
Types of research degrees
- Master of Philosophy (M Phil)
- Master of Research (M Res)
- Professional/Taught Doctorates (DEng, DMus, D Ed, DBA, DClinPsych)
- New Route Doctorate of Philosophy (PhD)
- Doctor of Philosophy (PHD or D Phil)
- Bachelor Degrees
- Foundation Degrees
- Higher National Diplomas Higher National Certificates Diplomas of Higher Education Foundation courses, Foundation years or Access/Bridging course
Are there any benefits offered to International students whilst studying in UK?
2 sources of benefit are: NHS: All international students staying in UK for the purpose of education for 6 months or more qualify for free health care through the National Health Service.NATIONAL UNION OF STUDENTS: Loads of discounts are negotiated on behalf of their student members on things like books, stationery, food, clothes, travel and entertainment. All students are entitled to free NUS membership.
Will I get refund if my visa is refused
If your visa is refused and you have paid a deposit to your institution for tuition fees then you will receive a refund of the deposit when you send the institution a copy of your visa refusal letter from the High Commission. A few institutions deduct a small amount usually no more than ? 100 for processing the refund payment.
How can I finance my studies?
As compared to the cost of studying in India only, going abroad can seem to be steeply expensive. However one must keep the possible returns in mind which are in the form of quality of education, international exposure and boost to ones career when evaluating the costs of studying abroad. A student can rely on sources like family funds, bank loans, scholarships, bursaries, sponsorships etc to provide for funds required by him.
Most nationalized banks offer students loans at competitive rates for considerable time periods which may enable a larger section of students to go and study abroad. They will ask for a collateral security to be pledged. You can even consider the possibility of an international bank loan. Kindly ask your UES counsellor for further details.
Such organizations may also be able to help the student to fund his studies abroad.
A blood relative is always preferred but other sponsors can also help to fund your education in the UK provided a logical explanation is given as to why he is willing to sponsor you.
Should I pay a Deposit?
Some universities require the students to pay part of the tuition fees in advance in order to reserve a place for them in the university. In any case we recommend that all students should make a deposit payment as it facilitates in getting a student visa.
How are the Universities rated?
British Universities do not have a formal ranking system but the government does take the responsibility to monitor and control the quality of education provided by each university through the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education. The Government conducts a Research Assessment Exercise once in every 5 yrs. which determines the level of research activity in a university department. The departments are graded as high as 5* and as low as 1. General League Tables prepared by newspapers like the Sunday Times and Financial Times can also be checked
Though UK is always open to welcome international students but there is no escape for applicants from undergoing the selection criteria for the UK student visa. Meeting the set eligibility conditions confirm you the go ahead through the primary step of your UK student visa. You may check these conditions in our selection criteria section on the right.
Where to Apply
A student has to personally go to Visa Facilitation Services (VFS) to apply for visas; The VFS UK visa application centres are available in 12 cities. Student needs to visit VFS for Biometrics registration.
A. How Many days prior a student can apply for visa
90 days i.e. 3 months prior an applicant can apply for Student Visa, but cannot travel before 30 days i.e. 1 month. From the course commencement date.
B. Documents Checklist
The document consists of 3 sets
Set - 1
- Original Passport
- Online visa forms
- Copy of CAS certificate issued by the education provider
Set - 2
- All the financial documents - must be minimum 28 days old
- IMP: All financial documents should be dated within 30 days at the time of making application
Set - 3
All academic documents & IELTS / work exp - as listed in CAS certificate
C. Visa application Fees
The visa application fees is Rs 21,700/- approx
D. Processing time:
The processing time required is 2 to 3 week
English ability Requirements
If the Education provider has asked for then the student has to give IELTS, But it is strongly recommended to give IELTS
For more information you can meet the Visa counsellor at UES branch.
- Aberystwyth University
- American Intercontinental University
- Anglia Ruskin University
- Bangor University
- Birkbeck University of London
- Birmingham City University
- Brunel University
- Cambridge Education Group
- Cardiff University
- City University London
- Coventry University
- Cranfield University
- Canterbury Christchurch University
- Cardiff Metropolitan University
- De Montfort University
- Edinburgh Napier University
- Glasgow Caledonian University
- Heriot-Watt University
- Institute of Education, University of London
- Kingston University
- Kings College London
- Lancaster University
- Liverpool Hope University
- Liverpool John Moores University
- London South Bank University
- London Metropolitan University
- Loughborough University
- Manchester Metropolitan University
- Middlesex University
- Navitas (University Programs)
- Newcastle University
- Northumbria University
- Nottingham Trent University
- Oxford Brookes University
- Plymouth University
- Queen Margaret University
- Queen Mary, University of London
- Queen's University Belfast
- Robert Gordon University- Aberdeen
- Study Group (International Study Centers)
- Sheffield Hallam University
- Southampton Solent University
- Stafford Shire University
- Swansea University
- The School of Pharmacy, University of London
- Trinity Saint David, London
- University Of West London
- University of Aberdeen
- University of Abertay
- University of the Arts London
- University of Bedfordshire
- University of Bolton
- University of Bradford
- University of Brighton
- University of Bristol
- University of Central Lancashire
- University of Chester
- University of Chichester
- University Of Cumbria
- University of Derby
- University of Dundee
- University of Durham
- University of East Anglia
- University of East London
- University of Edinburgh
- University of Essex
- University of Exeter
- University of Glamorgan
- University of Glasgow
- University of Greenwich
- University of Hertfordshire
- University of Huddersfield
- University of Kent
- University of Leicester
- University of Leeds
- University of Liverpool
- University of Lincoln
- University of Manchester
- University of Nottingham
- University of Portsmouth
- University of Roehampton
- University of Reading
- University of Salford
- University of Sheffield
- University of Southampton
- University of St. Andrews
- University of Stirling
- University of Strathclyde
- University of Sunderland
- University of Ulster
- University Of Wales, Newport
- University Of West of England, Bristol
- University Of West London
- University of West of Scotland
- University of Winchester
- University of Wolverhampton
- University of Worcester
- University of York
- Westminster University Birmingham Metropolitan College
- Blackpool & Fylde College
- Bradford College
- City College , Plymouth
- City of Bristol College
- Holborn College
- Hult International Business School
- INTO University Partnerships
- Kaplan International Colleges
- London International College of Bus and Tech
- London School of Business & Finance
- London School of Commerce
- School of Oriental & African Studies (SOAS)
- South Lanarkshire College
- The College of Law
- Regent's College London
- Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester
- West London College
- Writtle College